Château de Vesancy
Historical sites and monuments

Château de Vesancy


It is highly probable that there was a fortified house in Vesancy since the end of the 12th century, belonging to the noble family De Visencier.
The first written source appears in 1353, when Hughes of Geneva, Lord of Gex, besieged the castle, conquered it and destroyed it.
This monument was originally meant for war, but in the 15th and 16th centuries, it became a cosy country house with a farming estate. The remains of the outer fortifications have been replaced by the school and the fountain.
During the 19th century, the townhall of Vesancy tried to buy the castle. In 1808, they bought the share of Luc François Berthet for 5050 francs. Around the monument, the land was used by the townhall to build a cheese factory, a church, a fountain, and a girl’s school.

Château de Vesancy
Place du Château
  • Bar
  • Room rental
Prices & Schedules Opening :

Château de Vesancy

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *