The Pic de l'Aigle lookout in Chaux-du-Dombief offers magnificent views of the Jura, the Hérisson valley, the Grandvaux and Lake Ilay.
On a clear day, you can see the Mont Blanc massif.
An orientation table at the summit allows you to read the 360° panorama.
To access the Pic de l'Aigle :
- 3 parking lots in the commune of La Chaux-du-Dombief: P1, car park shared with the NAJA factory, very spacious, flat and paved; P2, car park at the start of the peak path, natural; P3 near P2 and more limited.
From the top car park of the Pic de l'Aigle (car park P2), the Pic de l'Aigle is indicated by the hiking trail.
Some advice for a serene discovery of the site:
- Don't overestimate your strength, beware of the difference in altitude and the nature of the site: this is a medium mountain hike
- Equip yourself correctly (walking shoes, appropriate clothing for the weather, bag with water & snacks)
- Stay on the marked trails
- Keep your animals on a leash
- Keep a distance between you/your children and the void
- Respect the beauty and tranquility of the site: be as discreet as possible, take your rubbish away and leave the wild flowers for future walkers to see.
- In order to guarantee the landscape beauty of the site, few rubbish bins are installed on the route. We count on your responsibility to take away your rubbish and participate in the preservation of the site. Thank you in advance.
Approximate duration :
Round trip Parking du pic de l'Aigle / Pic de l'Aigle: 1 hour.
You can extend the hike along the ridge to reach the 3 lakes lookout and then the 4 lakes lookout: follow the yellow markings.
The return from the 4 lakes lookout is done :
- via the Bois de Ban forest road and then the pastures: follow the signs for "retour parking du pic".
Be careful: walkers and cars share the road.
Approximate duration :
Round trip Parking du pic de l'Aigle / Belvédère des 4 lacs: 2h30.
- by the descent to the edge of the Maclu lakes and then the Ilay lake: follow the signs and the directional panels.
This longer loop is for experienced hikers.
Approximate duration Parking du pic de l'Aigle / belvédère des 4 lacs / Les lacs: 3h30, distance: 10 km, difference in altitude: 330m.
Hiking maps are available at the Haut-Jura Grandvaux tourist office in Saint-Laurent en Grandvaux.
The different versions of the itineraries can be consulted and downloaded from the websites and app Jura-outdoor and Haut-Jura Rando.