Unusual heritage of the Montbéliard region.
There are about 400 of them, marking the former limits of the principality. Numbered and dated (from 1543 to 1743), they preserve - for those which are still in place and which were not hammered out during the Revolution - beautiful engraved coats of arms. Among the motifs are the three branches of the Wurtemberg-Montbéliard stag. The initials inscribed are often those of the municipality that forms the border. Of varying dimensions, these markers were used to delimit land at a time when there was no land register. It is possible to see some in particular on the "path of the historical markers of the Principality of Montbéliard (linking Brévillers to the Lomont).
Les bornes de la principauté de Montbéliard 1 rue Henri Mouhot25200 MONTBELIARD