Château de Belvoir
Castles and Defense Sites

Château de Belvoir


Overlooking the Sancey valley by 150 metres, Belvoir Castle stands on the site of a Gallic oppidum and then a Roman castrum, and the first castle was built at the end of the 12th century by Thibault de Belvoir. The present buildings originated at the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th centuries when the Cusance family rebuilt the castle after its destruction by Louis XI. At the beginning of the 17th century, it was partially modernised. Abandoned
in the middle of the 19th century, it was bought in 1955 by the painter Pierre Jouffroy who brought it back to life through a patient 45-year restoration.
20 fully furnished rooms are open to visitors and present furniture, paintings, weapons and objects dating from the 16th to the 20th century.
Not to be missed: the visit of the village which is built around its 14th century covered market, the oldest and only one in Franche-Comté.

Château de Belvoir
1, rue du Bourg
  • French, German, English, Norwegian
  • Credit card, Cheques and postal orders, Cash
  • Pets not allowed
  • Parking
Prices & Schedules Opening :

Open from Easter to All Saints' Day on Sundays and public holidays.
In July and August: open every day morning and afternoon.
For groups: by appointment all year round.

Prices :
  • Group rate (from 25 people. )
Special opening conditions :

Reopening of the castle from May 15th

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *