Château de Frontenay
Castles and Defense Sites

Château de Frontenay


The origins of the fortified house of Frontenay can be traced back to Fréderic, the natural son of a Count of Burgundy in 1132. His
keep protected the salt route.
In 1410, the chatelaine, Blanche de Genève, welcomed the future Saint Colette, who founded the first community of reformed
community of Reformed Poor Clares.
During the Ten Years' War, which ravaged Franche-Comté, the castle supported the siege of Louis XIII's army. Captain Flamand, who commanded the garrison, was hanged by the French, an event that gave rise to the legend of the Frontenay ghost.
of Frontenay.
Given in 1446 by the Chalon family, lords of Arlay, to one of their squires, Gauthier de Fallerans, in reward for his services
the castle continued its long adventure through the French conquest of Franche-Comté, the French Revolution and the modern era,
the modern era. For nearly 600 years it has remained in the same family.

The exterior of the castle can be visited freely from Easter to All Saints' Day. The interior can be visited by appointment for groups only, between May and October.

Château de Frontenay
375 Chemin du Chateau
  • English
  • Pets welcome

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *