The origin of the "strong house" of Frontenay can be traced back to a
Fréderic, natural son of a count of Burgundy in 1132. His
keep protected the salt road.
In 1410, the chatelaine, Blanche de Genève, welcomed the future
future saint Colette who founded the first community
community of reformed Poor Clares.
During the Ten Years' War which ravaged Franche-Comté
the castle supported the siege of Louis XIII's army. Captain Fleming, who commanded the garrison, was hanged by the
by the French, a historical fact which gave rise to the legend of the
Given in 1446 by the Chalon, lords of Arlay, to one of their
squire, Gauthier de Fallerans as a reward for his services
the castle then continued its long adventure through the
conquest of Franche-Comté by France, the revolution,
the contemporary period. For nearly 600 years it has remained
in the same lineage.
The visit of the castle is open from Easter to All Saints' Day, freely for the outside, guided for the inside by appointment for groups between May and October.
- 06 15 07 92 98
- Pets welcome