Chapelle Notre-Dame du Bon Secours
Religious heritage

Chapelle Notre-Dame du Bon Secours


In the land of the Colombins, between 1869 and 1870, eighteen children under the age of nine died during the scarlet fever epidemic. Their names remain engraved inside a chapel placed under the protection of Our Lady of Good Help and built the following year on the slope of the Laveron, overlooking the village.
In 1871, on October 24, the solemn blessing of the chapel of Bon Secours took place. This ceremony, so dear to the inhabitants of Sainte-Colombe, was embellished by the participation of the population of the neighbourhood and the assistance of a large number of clergy. The faithful went in procession to the shrine of Mary, singing the praises of the divine mother.

After the blessing of the chapel, Mr. Ligier, parish priest of Pontarlier, with a beautiful instruction on the powerful protection of the Blessed Virgin, strengthened in the souls the devotion towards her and paid a just tribute to the pity of the faithful of Sainte-Colombe who, by their donations, made this magnificent sanctuary to Mary.

The subscription was immediately realized and during the retreat it already amounted to 4700 francs. The title of the shrine was a natural one: Mary was called to help. Our Lady of Good Help was therefore the title of the chapel. The momentum did not slow down until the completion of this work despite the difficulties of the time.

The war of 70-71 with Prussia occurred. Families had their young men taken away from them. The region was invaded by the enemy, pillaged and ravaged. 2600 francs are taken from the population of Sainte-Colombe. In spite of this disaster, the work continues and is completed with as much perfection as if the most prosperous times had favored it.

The plan of Notre-Dame du Bon Secours was made by M. Vernier, architect in Pontarlier, and executed by M. Magnenet, contractor in the same town. The total sum spent for the construction of the chapel without the expenses of decoration is thus 6400 francs. The building stones were fetched from the quarries of La Rivière. The altar and the statues which decorate this chapel were provided at the expense of Mr. Joly, parish priest. The altar was made by M. André et Cie in Besançon, and the statues come from the house of Gousse in Lyon.

It is good to note in the archives of the fabrique, for their worthy memory, the origin of Notre-Dame de Bon Secours and the means by which it was built.

Thanks to Cécile Trouttet

Chapelle Notre-Dame du Bon Secours

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *