Chapelle Saint-Antoine
Religious heritage

Chapelle Saint-Antoine


In 1679, the inhabitants of Houtaud created a foundation in order to stop a disease that was decimating their herds. A mass and vespers were celebrated every year on the feast of Saint-Antoine de Padoue to protect the inhabitants. In 1703, with the help of the Sires de Bannans (large landowners in the region), they built a chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony. It is said that on the painting of the presentation, valuable painting, would be painted the face of its benefactors.

Under the Convention, the sale of the village chapel was ordered. For lack of buyers, it will not be sold. A will of Etienne Bourbon in July 1820 ensures by a donation the celebration of the masses every Sunday and the day of the feast of Saint-Antoine

On November 4, 1844, this place is declared Chapel of help by a royal order and remains attached to the parish of Dommartin. In the years 1845-1850, it became a branch church: an achievement for its inhabitants. The cult of Our Lady was grafted onto that of Saint Anthony Hermit in 1860. The Bourbon foundation was lost with the law of separation of Church and State in 1905, and the parish became a chapel again.

The contemporary yellow stained glass windows are by Jean Olin.

Source: Les oratoires du Doubs, Paul Dieudé; seigneurie de Houtaud, Dommartin, Vuillecin, Abbé Saillard

Chapelle Saint-Antoine

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *