Chapelle Saint François de Sales
Religious heritage

Chapelle Saint François de Sales


From the end of the 18th century, the inhabitants complained about the estrangement of the parochial church of Pouilly and demanded the construction of a chapel in the village. It is the product of the lottery which allowed the construction of the chapel of Saint-Genis-Pouilly.
The project came true on an acquired property originally to establish an orphanage there. This property included among others, the big current main building, the old relay of diligence on the road Lyon / Geneva.
A chapel of dimensions and modest ceilings was fitted out in the median part of the building.
The work was inaugurated in 1884 by father Joseph, founder of the orphanage of Douvaine. The chapel was dedicated to Saint Vincent de Paul, boss of the poor people and the orphans.

In 1912, abbot Favre emitted the wish to build a church in the center of Saint-Genis, with the support of the bishop of Belley, he launched December 25th, 1913, a subscription to raise the necessary funds but the war of 14/18 ended this project.
So, with the collected money, the abbot decided to enlarge the chapel. The facade was completely redone with a hall in advance and two columns supporting a forum above which a big window lets in the rising sun. The ground was completely cemented and covered with stone floor in the path and with parquet in spans.
A magnificent wooden painted ceiling was also installed.
The works ended in 1920.
From then on, abbot Favre came to celebrate the mass of Sunday, in particular the winter there when access roads in the church of Pouilly were often covered with snow.

The chapel, very well restored in 2008, bears from now on the name of the holy bishop of Geneva and Annecy: Saint-François-de-Sales.

Chapelle Saint François de Sales
8 rue du Bordeau
  • French
Prices & Schedules Opening :

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *