Collégiale Saint-Antoine
Religious heritage

Collégiale Saint-Antoine


Historic Monument - 13th / 15th centuries

In 1411, Jean III de Chalon Arlay founded a chapter of canons and, a year later, signed a contract with a mason from Auvergne to build the collegiate church from the chapel of the former hospital, which would become the present left aisle. The culottes depicting realistic figures date from this period.

The building consists of a long Gothic nave spanning three bays, flanked by aisles without a transept. The importance of the choir is due to the presence of the canons, who followed the long services and could rest on the mercy seats in the choir stalls.

In 1462, the seigniorial chapel, known as the "Chapel of the Bastards of Chalon", was added to the north side of the choir. Until 1815, the collegiate church was topped by a central bell tower with a pyramidal spire that was destroyed by fire. In 1830, the side aisles were extended in line with the facade, which was altered. Due to a lack of funds, the planned bell tower was replaced by a more modest construction, which was restored in 1997.

As in other towns built by the Chalon family, the church, a historic monument dating from the 13th and 15th centuries, sits on the ramparts and was part of the defensive system: the embossed tower, currently used as a sacristy, contains a treasure trove, a collection of various objects of worship from churches in the canton. The collegiate church houses an important collection of 15th and 16th century statuary and straw embroidery made by the Annonciades in the 17th century.

Collégiale Saint-Antoine

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *