Patrimoine du village de Béon
Religious heritage

Patrimoine du village de Béon


In the 12th century Béon was the fief of the Luyrieu family, whose castle is now in ruins. The remains of this beautiful building can still be seen, but the place is difficult to access. A large tower was rebuilt in 1450 and there was a rural chapel before the Revolution. This castle was the home of a family whose members held important positions such as Bailiffs of Savoy or Bresse, Chamberlains of the Dukes of Savoy, Governor of Nice or Seneschal of Beaucaire and Nîmes.

The village church, dedicated to Saint Laurent, dates from the 13th century. The presbytery is astonishing with its roof in the shape of an overturned boat hull. Tradition has it that it occupies the site of the first castle of the knight Guillaume Béone.

Patrimoine du village de Béon
2 rue de Clusy
01350 CULOZ
  • French
Prices & Schedules Opening :

Patrimoine du village de Béon
Patrimoine du village de Béon

Brochures edited by Montagnes du Jura

Consult our brochure online

En résumé
Write us
Contact the service provider
Privacy Policy *