Home of the Counts of Montbéliard, the history of the castle is closely linked to that of the families who ruled the county for more than 8 centuries.
Built on a rocky promontory at the confluence of the Lizaine and Allan rivers, this stronghold, already present in the 10th century, was constantly transformed over the following centuries.
Today, the Henriette Tower (rebuilt by Countess Henriette around 1424), the Frédéric Tower (1572 and 1595) and the Corps de Logis dating from the 18th century can be admired to the north of the building.
Now the Museum of the Castle of the Dukes of Wurtemberg, it features a historical tour, natural history, fine arts and contemporary art collections.
On the esplanade of the castle, the clock pavilion or Hôtel du Bailli (also known as the logis des gentilshommes), built to the plans of the architect Schickhardt at the beginning of the 17th century, now houses the music conservatory.
A tour reveals a thousand years of life and history of the Princes' residence. Furniture, objects, works of art and portraits from the 14th to the 18th century, from the final hours of the Middle Ages to the beginnings of modern times, highlight four centuries of Württemberg's history and as many secrets are told here... Guided tour of the historical circuit every day at 3pm except Tuesdays. No reservation required, but limited to 20 people per group.
The Cuvier gallery and its natural history collections: treat yourself to a privileged meeting with the scientist before discovering a space retracing biological evolution, a focus on regional palaeonthology and finally two rooms devoted to the Franc-Comtois fauna.
The archaeological gallery: the collections come mainly from regional sites dating from the Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Ages, the Gallo-Roman period and the Early Middle Ages.
The contemporary art collection: the collection includes nearly a thousand works, including paintings, sculptures, drawings and prints, from the mid-20th century to the present day. The new acquisition policy, which focuses on the themes of man, nature and technology, is based on the various departments of the museum.
> Guided tours of the castle's historical circuit at 11am and 3pm (subject to guide availability) without registration.
Tickets valid for the two museums of the City of Montbéliard. Ticket office closes at 5.30 pm.
- 03 81 99 22 61
- Credit card, Cash
- Adult workshop
- Junior workshop
- Temporary exhibitions
From 01/01/23 to 31/12/23.
Closed on : Tuesday
Open from 9.30am to 12.30pm and from 1.30pm to 6pm except on Tuesdays.
Closed on 1 January, 1 May, 11 November, 24, 25 and 31 December.
- Base rate - full rate adult : 6€
- Other rate (Reduced rate) : 4€